Poligrafijos terminų žodynas anglų kalba


A | B C D E F | G H I | J K L M N O P | Q | R S | T U V | W | X | Y | Z


- D -


Dampener fountain
Alternate term for Water fountain on a press.

Dampening solution
Alternate term for Fountain solution.

Data conversion
To change digital information from its original code so that it can be recorded by an electronic memory using a different code.

To press an image into paper so it lies below the surface.

Deckle edge
Feathered edge on specially-made sheets of text and cover paper.

Delivery memo
Form sent by photographers and stock photo services to clients for signature to verify receipt of photos and agreement to contract terms.

Instrument used to measure light reflecting from or transmitted through copy.

Relative darkness of copy, ink on paper, or emulsion on film, as measured by a densitometer.

Density range
Expression of contrast between darkest and lightest areas of copy.

Depth of field
Photographer term for relative sharpness of features in an image regardless of their distance from the camera when photographed.

Design brief
Written description of how a printed piece is intended to look and the requirements for reproducing it.

Light-sensitive coating on paper or film for making contact prints of technical drawings.

Sharp metal rule used for die cutting or block of metal used for embossing or foil stamping.

Die cutting
Cutting irregular shapes in paper using metal rules mounted on a letter press.

Dimensional stability
Ability of paper and other substrates to retain their exact size despite the influence of temperature, moisture, or stretching.

Direct mail
Mail designed to motivate readers to respond directly to senders with a purchase, donation, or other action.

Doctor blade
Flexible metal strip that cleans excess ink from a gravure plate prior to each impression.

To block light from selected areas while making a photographic print.

Dot etching
Chemical or photographic method of color correcting separation negatives.

Dot gain or spread
Phenomenon of dots printing larger on paper than they are on negatives or plates.

Double bump
To print a single image twice so it has two layers of ink.

Double bum
To expose a plate or proof to two negatives to create a composite image.

Draw down
Sample of specified ink and paper, used to evaluate color.

To bore holes in paper so sheets fit over posts of loose-leaf binders.

Drop out
To eliminate halftone dots or fine lines due to overexposure during camera work or platemaking. The lost copy is said to have dropped out.

Dropout halftone
Halftone in which the highlight areas contain no dots.

Dry gum paper
Label paper with glue that can be activated by water.

Dull finish
Characteristic of paper that reflects relatively little light.

Dull ink or varnish
Alternate term for Matte ink or varnish.

Preliminary drawing or layout showing visual elements. Also a simulation of a printed piece using paper specified for a job.

Photograph reproduced from two halftone negatives and usually printed in two ink colors.

Duplex paper
Paper with a different color or finish on each side.

Small offset press using paper 12 x 18 or smaller (not to be confused with spirit duplicator).

DuPont trade name for photographic paper used to make blueline proofs.